Saturday, September 29, 2012

A Cracker of a Week


Have you ever spent a holiday at home, without going away for a trip and two weeks later experience this conversation... 
Them, "How was your holiday?"  
Me, "Yeh great thanks."  
Them, "What did you get up to?"     
Me (straining my brain trying to remember what I actually spent my 2 weeks doing), "Oh you know, just catching up on things".
What a waste!  In the spirit of 'reaching full bloom' I have made a conscious decision to participate in at least one special activity each day of the school holidays that I would not normally do as part of my day-to-day agenda during the term.  I'm going to document that activity each day so that at the end of the two weeks I can look back and remember what a marvellous holiday we had together as a family.  And also so that when people ask me what I did during the holidays...I can send them directly to this blog;  thus allowing my brain to no longer need to strain.




Monday 
Officially the first day of September school holidays.  Our plans for a camping trip had to be cancelled as TechnoHusband and BoyWonder were quite a bit 'under the weather'.  Now the weather itself today was rather overcast and turned into an exciting afternoon storm.   So I had no other choice of course but to dedicate the day to crochet. Oh the joy! To most I will sound like a Nana, but the crafties will know the guilty pleasure of being able to spend a decent amount of uninterrupted time working on a project.  I feel a bit selfish and sneaky when I crochet. I'm always working on something as a gift for someone else; but I just enjoy it SO much that it must be 'bad'. 

Tuesday
Tried a new recipe for banana bread; gluten and dairy free. Not bad, the LSA was pretty strong so nice if you like your bread  'nutty' and it makes a heavier style loaf.  Here's the recipe: keep an eye on the time, the coconut crust can ( and did!) burn. 
N.B. T= tablespoon t= teaspoon  
 2 T desiccated coconut
1 1/2 cups mashed overripe banana (about 3 large bananas)
1 1/4 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2t gluten-free baking powder
1t mixed spice
2 1/2 cups desiccated coconut
1 3/4 cups linseed, sunflower and ground almonds (LSA) 

1. Preheat oven 180*c/160*c fan-forced.  Grease 11cm x 21cm loaf pan; coat base and sides with coconut. Shake out excess coconut.
2. Combine banana, sugar, oil, baking powder, and spice in large bowl; stir in extra coconut and LSA.  Spread mixture into pan; smooth surface.
3. Bake bread about 55 minutes.  Stand in pan 10 minutes; turn, top-side up, onto bak!ing-paper-covered wire rack to cool. 

Wednesday
Big Day! Enjoyed an intimate, fine-dining experience at a very ritzy restaurant.  Actually  it was the R.S.L, with the 2 for 1 voucher TechnoHusband got for his birthday, and Nana and Pop...and...these people  ???

Nana gave me some of her yarn for crochet, and Pop gave me these from his Garden of Pride and Joy. Are they not the most beautiful roses you've seen today? 
I also helped TH clean out his computer room. I have to say, I am VERY proud of the amount of out-dated or un-repairable  'stuff' he agreed to get  rid of.  He tends to get quite attached to his whizz-whats and gig- zigs.  It was a special moment when he accepted that the '92 VHS player no longer needed to be stored for 'spare parts'. 

Thursday 
After a busy morning, my parents graciously shouted us lunch at my favourite hangout, here...
Lunch was good, but dessert was AhhMaahhzing!! Have you ever tried Tartufo? Possibly the yummiest dessert I have EVER eaten.  Mum and I shared, and we both decided we needed to make a monthly Tartufo habit. Anyone want to join our new addiction? See you at Sunnies!

Following lunch was a visit to the Air Musem. This was mainly for the interest and entertainment of BoyWonder and his Grandpa, but I have to say I really quite enjoyed the displays too.  I think I'm entering a new realm of 'outings' - 'Places that used to be really boring but are now fun because my kid likes it'.  
I'm loving these special times spent with family and friends.  I'm starting to make the most of every opportunity, and to embrace these moments each day as they come.  Sounds cliche I know, but I really am that person who gets so caught up in housework, work-work and 'keeping on top' of everything that I'm at risk of missing a golden memory-making session. 

Friday 
So nothing overly exciting today - perhaps I  failed my goal of something special for everyday, but hey...the dishes, washing, cleaning, ironing, and appointments do have to be taken care of sometime.  Although I did manage to convince TechnoHusband to go grocery shopping with us which is about as rare as a solar eclipse. Oh, and I made strawberry coulis to go with TH's birthday cake for tomorrow.  Does that sound flash?  The strawbs are so good at the moment!
Saturday & Sunday
Wow!  What a fantastic day!  The city of Brisbane generously honoured TechnoHusband's birthday with the magic of Riverfire.  Good job Brisbane. We were all more than satisfied with the low-flying jets, the square dancing helicopters, the Star Wars lasers and the brilliant fireworks display.  An even more deserving thanks however, goes to TechnoHusband's wonderful parents and family.  We were able enjoy the display and a fantastic shared meal, inside the amazing unit his parents booked.  We were up high and overlooking the river, with people we love.  What a great way to celebrate a great guy, and share fun times together. 
 This is what it's all about people. 
P.S My phone's little camera didn't do the fireworks justice, but check back again soon and I will have a few professional shots from a great photographer and great mate. 

8 comments:

  1. sounds like a lovely week Cait. Why do we need to go away when we live in paradise already. Look forward to reading about your second week xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it Cait. So true that we just let the days go by without cherishing the moments. Great idea to spend a moment remembering the good bits!!!xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nette! Doing this has actually 'slowed down' the holidays a little, appreciating all those moments is making them not fly by as quickly which is a bonus. Xx

      Delete
  3. Hey, I can almost smell those roses.
    As for the BANANA BREAD....... mine is spreading its fragrance in the kitchen already!
    The crochet! How dyu do that? Maybe some of us could learn....... A video maybe?
    Thanks for inspiring Muppi this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm a video Muppi....that's a novel idea! I may have to get TechnoHusband to help me out on that one. Attaching photos was pretty advanced for me- but I may accept the challenge :-)

      Delete
  4. I think blogging will help you relize what an wonderful full life you have each and every day. I can't find a button to join your blog, am I missing something?

    ReplyDelete
  5. RIVERFIRE in Brisbane..... Spectacular!!!!!!!!!
    The cascading waterfall fireworks from the bridge made me yell, "Wow".
    Howzit all done? ...............Beyond me... None exploding early or all zipping at once!!!
    A really good show.
    Glad you enjoyed it together with family, no doubt fully experiencing their
    'cascade of love for you!'
    Muppi

    ReplyDelete