Saturday, October 6, 2012

Holiday Wind Up


Monday

A day spent re-connecting with old friends.  I love those relationships where you can 'pick up where we left off'.  There is something so special about that.  Nothing more needs to be said.

Tuesday
Today's special activity was a family trip to the Toy World.  This was actually to buy TechnoHusband's birthday present- a very sophisticated radio controlled helicopter.  It would seem one needs a double degree in physics and engineering to fly such a thing.  So while he happily chatted 'specs' and batteries with the expert, BoyWonder and I explored the world of Mr Toys.  I think that BoyWonder and I were equally overwhelmed; he by the sight of more toys than he ever imagined could exist, and I by the aisles that were packed so high and so narrowly that I feared a toy avalanche could descend at any time.  
We survived, and now I  know why my parents never took us into those places.  BoyWonder did volunteer a new word as we weaved through the most un-pram-friendly place I've ever been (ironic anyone?) which was, 'WOW'.  Yep, pretty much summed it up for me too!


Wednesday
Today we enjoyed a trip to Brisbane to celebrate a family member's birthday.  We had a great time all together at Sizzler, and once again just really enjoyed just spending time with loved ones.  And who doesn't love an 'all you can eat'? BoyWonder was in his element and ate all the peas and peaches he could.  

Thursday
Ahhh...we have arrived at Woodgate.  You know when you're in pain and they talk about going to your happy place?  Woodgate is my happy place.  Even the long drive to Woodgate is a happy place.  It's the childish excitement and anticipation of arriving at a place which is so comforting, so peaceful and holds a life-time full of memories.  
I love:
- the cane-fields along the way 
- the old weather-board farm houses, stained rust red from the rich red soil
- the honesty box sheds selling home grown fruit and veges
- the way the trees change from in-land bush to sand-living coastal trees.  
- straining to be the first one to see the ocean as we reach the coast line
- seeing the kangaroos just lazing around people's front yards
- breathing in the fresh ocean breeze
- watching kids play; outside, all day, with bunches of other kids that they either just met, or only see once a year on their family holiday.  
- digging for pipis at low tide
- walking, swimming, fishing, bike-riding
- buying lollies from the little store, just like when I was a kid (only now they are called 'Fads' and no longer cost 20c a box- you know what I'm talking about!) 
- catching up with grandparents, uncles and aunties and cousins.  

This trip we are trying out a cabin in the caravan park,  and it's fantastic! But I mean, oh, you know, its not really that good...just don't all come at once, we like it how it is . 





Friday & Saturday
Another two days in paradise, as above! But add 'Pop Rocks' to the lolly bullet point.  Tongue-crackling goodness. 

Sunday
Ok, jumping the gun (I'm a day early) but I already know it's going to be a great (and busy!) day.  My friend's beautiful bubba boy is being dedicated in the morning, and I'm helping out on piano and vocals with our church's first evening service, 'Sunday Night Live'.  I'm a little bit nervous.  And a lot excited.  

So this brings me to the end of my school holiday challenge.  I'm so glad I did this.  The holidays did not 'fly by', and I feel like even though I would have done these meaningful activities anyway, it makes a huge difference to actually recognise and appreciate them as being meaningful.

How did your week shape up?  Did you take time to enjoy the 'little moments'?

No comments:

Post a Comment