Saturday, October 20, 2012

Pikelet Day

I woke up this morning with a nasty case of Tonsillitis.  After a two-hour wait at the medical centre, the purchase of some antibiotics and some pretty awesome pain medication, I was feeling a little sorry for myself.  So, once the pretty awesome pain medication kicked in, I decided to make some pikelets with BoyWonder to:
a) lift my mood
b) keep the child entertained, and
c) share with TechnoHusband who was busy working on fixing the driveway.
While we were 'cooking' I had a few thoughts cross my mind.  Thoughts like...
- how good pikelets taste in proportion to how easy they are to make
- how it's just another reminder that some of the most simple things in life are also the best
- how much fun it is cooking with my little boy
- how I didn't even mind when he stirred the batter and it went everywhere
- how cute it was when he said 'ooo wow!' every time I spooned batter into the pan
- the way he imitated the sizzling sound as the pikelets hit the pan and bubbled away
- how heavy his 11kgs felt sitting on my hip the whole time and how I can't wait until he can stand on a chair to help in the kitchen
- how I can clearly remember making pikelets with my mum when I was little.  I can remember standing on the chair, helping her mix the batter, greasing the big square electric frypan, listening to mum say 'now be careful not to burn yourself' over and over, burning myself, watching intently as the tiny bubbles took form and grew bigger and more plentiful, how they popped and I would wonder if 'now' was the perfect time to flip, flipping and admiring the glorious golden-brown toasted goodness, and smothering one in jam and cream before it was cool enough, because some things are just too good to wait for. 

I think BoyWonder has inherited a genetic love obsession for pikelets.  Seriously,  just seeing one is enough to send his little heart racing, tiny beads of sweat to his nose, and a mouth opened so wide it could house a small family of mice.  If there were an Infant Pikelet Eating Contest, he would reign as Pikelet Master.  In fact, I would confidently challenge anyone's infant  (on his behalf) to a dual.  I think he can actually swallow them whole.  I gave him one fresh off the 'stack' and by time I reached back to get one for me, he had an empty mouth and hand outstretched ready for the next one.  It truly is a sight to be seen!  He also knows how to count now apparently.  If there are more pikelets on my plate than on his, he lets me know about it.

After sharing a plate full with TechnoHusband, it was time for some 'macho' input to the day, so the boys went out to dig and fill and cut stuff on the driveway.  I love watching our little boy spend time doing just what his Daddy does.  It warms my heart and gives me a buzz all over!  Hang on...or is it the pretty awesome pain medication? Nah! 

5 comments:

  1. Hi Cait,
    Hope you are feeling better, tonsillitis is just awful and can wear you down. It sounds like you went to the your GP straight away to get antibiotics and amazing thing it usually does the trick and you are feeling better in a day or two.

    Reading your post reminded of my mum making pikelets when I was young yummo. I also can remember when I was pregnant with my second child so hungry wanting a snack for afternoon tea. My daughter was 2yrs old and making pikelets for her was a treat. How simple memories can come to you when reading something like your post. So thank you for reminding me the simple things in life :)

    Love
    Darls

    http://myeaglewings-darleen.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love cooking with my boys too Cait. And i love that we are making memories as we are making food. pikelets are so simple, but so yum, like scones. Pity its too early in the mornin to cook some lol, now i got me a craving for pikelets! Another heart warning post x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love cooking with my boys too Cait. And i love that we are making memories as we are making food. pikelets are so simple, but so yum, like scones. Pity its too early in the mornin to cook some lol, now i got me a craving for pikelets! Another heart warning post x x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love cooking with my boys too Cait. And i love that we are making memories as we are making food. pikelets are so simple, but so yum, like scones. Pity its too early in the mornin to cook some lol, now i got me a craving for pikelets! Another heart warning post x x

    ReplyDelete
  5. After living in Vanuatu for a month I have come up with a great recipe for NI VAN PANCAKES. Sylvie Tari comes from the island of Ambie. I quote from her letter,"I am 10 year old. When I grow up I like to be a teacher Because I can understant english, I know how I spike english. LIST FOR BANCAKES
    3 cups of flour
    3 small teaspoon baking powder
    9 Big spoons suger
    2 cups milk with a big spoon of vinegar.
    1/2 smallspoons bi carbnt soda
    3eggs if hen lay
    2big spoons melted marg if any.

    It seemed to work for little Sylvie Tari I hope it works for you too! Pikelets transcend all boundries and I will never forget this delightful little girl who made BANCAKES every Saturday morning during my stay!

    ReplyDelete